A couple days ago, the White House announced that Trump had ordered selected intelligence documents from the Russia investigation to be declassified. Note that it was not all documents, just a few that he specifically wanted declassified. National security experts immediately denounced this action, for good reason:
“The release of FISAs like this is off the charts,” Kris wrote. “It is especially unprecedented considering that the FISAs have already gone through declassification review and the President is overruling the judgments of his subordinates to require expanded disclosure.”
Then, news came out that Trump hasn’t even read the documents he wants declassified:
There’s one caveat, according to The Hill: the president has not read the materials he wants released to the public.
“I have had many people ask me to release them,” Trump said.
So, who are these “many people” who have asked Trump to declassify these sensitive intelligence documents? Turns out it is Fox News hosts Sean Hannity, Lou Dobbs, and Jeanine Pirro:
Buck Sexton: Have you reviewed the memos yourself? What do you expect them to show, if so?
President Trump: I have not reviewed them. I have been asked by many people in Congress as you know to release them. I have watched commentators that I respect begging the president of the United States to release them….I have been asked by so many people that I respect, please — the great Lou Dobbs, the great Sean Hannity, the wonderful great Jeanie Pirro.
The President of the United States has ordered the declassification of United States intelligence, overruling the opinions of intelligence officials, because Fox News told him to. Why did Fox News tell him to declassify this information? So that they could have a new topic to talk about during their Fox News shows. They are basically creating the news they want to report on, and no doubt plan to use this “news” to further discredit the United States intelligence departments and the Mueller investigation, in an attempt to further cloud the very serious investigation of the Trump campaign’s collusion with Russia during the 2016 election. It is not hyperbole to suggest that this is Soviet Union and Nazi Germany levels of propaganda that is being orchestrated by the White House and Fox News.
This also isn’t by any means the first time Fox News has influenced Trump White House policy. Let’s look at another recent example: the brouhaha that Trump created against Google a couple weeks ago:
WASHINGTON—President Trump on Tuesday accused Alphabet Inc.’s Google search platform of elevating critical news stories about his presidency at the expense of friendly conservative voices, adding to the growing scrutiny of tech giants from policy makers.
But, what was not reported was that Trump was just repeating what he saw on the Fox Business News show Lou Dobbs, almost word for word.
The Lou Dobbs show from the night before:
Trump Tweet the next morning:
As usually happens, all of this media attention of Trump’s own words eventually had to be responded to by the White House. Well, the White House apparently didn’t want to explain that the crazy old man who is our President was just doing what crazy old men do: watch Fox News and get pissed off. So, instead they sent Larry Kudlow, Donald Trump’s Economic Advisor, out to pretend that they were actually looking into it.
And thus, a bogus Fox News segment became official White House policy:
White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said Tuesday that the administration is “taking a look” at imposing regulations on Google following President Donald Trump’s tweet Tuesday accusing the search giant of favoring news outlets critical of him in search results.
This is all so ridiculous, and dangerous, for so many reasons.
- The mainstream media pretends that this is all somewhat normal, acting as if the White House is actually thoughtfully looking into policy decisions. THIS IS NOT NORMAL (all caps for the Fox News fans).
- Fox News is directing White House policy. Besides their ridiculous right wing bias, Fox News’ agenda is not to make the country better, it is to get more people to watch Fox News.
- Part of how Fox News tries to get more people to watch Fox News is by discrediting the American government.
- Fox News knows full well that Trump is watching them and taking direction from them, so Fox News also knows that no matter what, they can never turn against him personally. Because Trump is their biggest cheerleader. He watches Fox News to feed his ego. If Fox News says bad things about him, he will turn on them as fast as he has turned on James Comey, Michael Cohen, Omarosa, Jeff Sessions…
- Because Fox News knows that they can’t risk Trump’s ire, they are willing to discredit any and everybody in government who might oppose him.
- Trump’s followers also watch Fox News, so when they see the President repeat Fox News talking points, it creates a never-ending loop of validation: the President agrees with Fox News so Fox News must be correct; Fox News agrees with the President so the President must be correct. This is a big part of why they will keep following him until the bitter end.
We are being led by a literal cult creating apparatus that does not care if it brings harm to the American government or the American people.
This is the same type of propaganda coordination between a White House and Fox News that helped lead the country into the Iraq War under George W Bush.
This is not good for the country.